Tuesday, November 1, 2011

What I Thought Mattered the Most, Doesn't Matter at All.

I was never one of those girls that dreamt about their wedding since they were 2 or 3 years old. I never saw myself as a princess bride, wearing a ball gown with a 80 foot train either. However, the thought of one day getting married intrigued and excited me. I watched countless bridal shows on television over the years and I would sometimes fantasize about my own wedding. I used to think it would be cool to wear a wedding dress and have a fancy reception and maybe a "Platinum Wedding;" as WE TV liked to put into our brains. Until recently I thought I wanted the quintessential wedding.

When my fiance proposed to me, I immediately started thinking about wedding planning (as many of you know from my previous posts). I had the venue, the colors and the theme all picked out and ready to go. Today marks 10 months since I have been engaged. I don't think I actually felt engaged until 2-3 months ago. It wasn't until that time that I realized that maybe a fancy wedding is not worth the stress. Maybe I didn't need all of the pomp and circumstance? What I learned about myself throughout this engagement is that many of the things that I thought I wanted, may not be the right things.

I feel so happy and complete with my fiance that I really don't need a photo booth at the wedding or a steel pan performer. All I need is he and I, getting married and making a life together. I understand why other brides want those things, they make a wedding great fun. That is the beauty of everyone on this planet - we are all different. There is not a set of rules that states that all brides should feel the same way and want the same things.

I look at bridal magazines now and I get excited, but its not the same excitement I had months ago. Weddings are beautiful and marriage should be celebrated but for me, the things I thought mattered in a wedding doesn't matter at all.

What do you think?



Stay tuned for more interesting wedding planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...